Importance of Arm Strength
Arm Exercises 2. Having strong arms in addition to having overall strong body allows you to pick up and move heavy objects safely. Also, an important part of arm strength for the elderly is actually grip strength. We rarely lift anything heavy with just the muscles of the arms but any time we try to move something heavy, our grip has to be able to hold it. So then, this is a follow on from hand grip training.
Side Wrist Circles
- Side wrist circles, with your arms out to the side at shoulder height.
- Rotate your wrists clockwise and then anti-clockwise 30 rotations.
- This will get the blood flowing and prepare you for what follows.
Diagonal Inward and Outward Raises
This exercise can be done seated or standing, if done standing it also exercises your balance.
- Diagonal arm raises both inner and outer. watch the video
- Improves your shoulder mobility.
- Increases your ability to comfortably reach overhead.
- Increase the mobility of your shoulder for better arm swing while walking.
Bent Elbow raises
- Hold the weight in your hand. Position your arm overhead.
- Straighten out your arm toward the ceiling. Return to the start position and repeat 10 times.
- Inhale during the upward movement phase. Exhale during the downward movement phase.
- Do not hold your breath. Support your exercising arm by holding at the elbow. If your back feels strained, sit in a chair with good back support.
Side Arm Raises
- Begin with your arm at your side, elbow straight, holding the weight with palm against you leg.
- Raise your arm outward to the side, level with your shoulder. Then raise your arm to full height above your head. Return to the starting position and repeat 10 times.
- Exhale during the upward movement phase. Inhale during the downward movement phase
A Kneeling Push-up
The kneeling push-up is challenging if done right. watch how in the video below
Arm Exercises 2. Keeping your arms strong is essential; you need to support yourself; getting in and out of the bath falling in the bathroom would be embarrassing if you have to call for help. Climbing stairs you must be able to hold and support yourself using the handrail. So then, these exercises will help you get stronger.
Important Note *
Remember that everyone is different, and it is ultimately YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to find what your body responds to. So please do your due diligence before trying anything new, including getting Medical Advice to ensure your safety and peace of mind.
Connect with me and leave a comment or two on my social media.
2 replies on “Arm Exercises 2”
Am 62 years and I used to type a lot during my work days. I had a lot of pain in the hand joints. But when I started arm exercises for lifting arms I no longer feel that pain. i can lift objects according to my size without any problem.
Thank you very much.
Hi Sarah, I am happy that arm exercises have helped you, and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know, your feedback helps me to know I am doing the right thing and helping everyone, so thank you very much, all the best Ian